Our Top 10 Cabin Fever Events to Attend in 2019
- Howard Park
Our favourite winter jaunt is fast approaching, when the Cabin Fever Festival rolls out in the Margaret River Region, bringing together all the best aspects of winter down south; wine, cheese, chocolate, comfort food, beautiful landscapes, bonfires, brews, live music and more.
Running from July 19 – 28, over 30 events take place amidst a backdrop of stormy skies and open fires. We thought it only fitting to pore over the line-up and present you with a list of our best and favourite Cabin Fever events. You’ll find winter feasts, rich wines, magnificent parties, live music; choose from the weird, the decadent and the raucous.
10. Margaret River Reds Vs The World - Longtime wine aficionados, Lamonts Smiths Beach, are pairing their food with amazing red wine examples from the local region and the wider (old) world, from areas like Burgundy and Tuscany. Hosted by the award-winning chef Kate Lamont herself.
8. Farm, Fire, Food - Good friend of Howard Park, George Cooper, is throwing open the barn doors on his own, newly-purchased private farm. A seven-course degustation winter feast is sure to split the seams, with a roaring fire to the punters warm.
7. Settler’s Tavern Carpark Collective - Cabin Fever’s unofficial closing party! Fire pits, smokey bbqs and all-day music in an extension of Margaret River’s iconic “Tav”, sprawling out into the adjoining carpark with a marquee to keep the festivities dry.
6. Secret Dinner – Always an extremely hush-hush affair, with no details other than price given away, and very limited seats. The evening includes canapes and three courses of food, and always takes place in a venue not normally accessible to the public.
5. Cheese Toastie Battle – For the second-year-running, The Common are throwing a few of Margaret River’s best chefs into the toastie battle ring! And you get taste the results. There are no better friends than winter and melted cheese.
4. Sensei Miki’s Umami Masterclass - Head Chef Mikihito Nagai of Margaret River stalwart Miki’s Open Kitchen hosts an intimate afternoon of Japanese flavours. Lessons from the master are followed by snacks and a three-course lunch, with take-home recipe guide.
3. Food Truck Frenzy – Definitely a local favourite Cabin Fever event! A night market of food trucks and entertainment, with lots of undercover cosy spaces to eat your foods and sip as beverage.
2. Fondue by the Fire – held at our very own Howard Park cellar door, and back for its 3rd year! Two warming fireplaces, indoor seating, bubbling cheese fondue courtesy of Cambray Sheep Cheese plus plenty of delicious vinos to wash it all down with. A highly indulgent weekend.
1. Night of Noir – In our own (very biased) opinion, this is the number one event of Cabin Fever…and you must think so too, because it’s sold out! An avant-garde five course degustation, paired with Pinot Noir, for the discerning gourmand. The evening includes fire pits, warming vermouth cocktails and a brush with a tarot card fortune teller, all conducted in formal black attire. To hear about our events first, (and to avoid missing out in future!) join our Wine Club here.